2012年3月5日 星期一

How Reclusive is the Brown Recluse Spider?


My first introduction to Brown Recluse Spiders happened in the basement of a hospital building, and at the time these spiders wove their webs under sinks and inside rarely used storage cabinets. At first I only saw them in dark, out-of-the-way places.

When I shined my flashlight on them, they ran away from the glare, back into the dark.

I recognized them because I spent time studying pictures, and had the image of their legs fixed in my mind. Getting close enough to identify the distinctive fiddle mark on their back just didn't interest me. At least not while they lived.

Watching their behavior then gave me an understanding (at least I thought) of why people call these spiders reclusive. Later I decided I'd better change my understanding as the spiders themselves gave me a few scares that contradicted my preparations.

Most of my encounters with the Brown Recluse were in those dark basements, true, but as my identification skills improved, so did my sightings, until I got the idea that maybe these guys just weren't so reclusive after all.

One warehouse seemed particularly infested with Brown Recluse. The hospital kept files of patients there; medical professionals reviewed those files often. In a wall alcove sat a workbench where people sat and sorted through the files, boxing up files coming into storage, and pulling files requested for review.

At each end of the workbench one day I spotted Brown Recluse nests. I suppose my senses were primed for spotting the spiders because just inside the loading dock door I kept a rodent bait box. The boxes are rectangular, approximately 3-inches by 6-inches, and each visit I replenished the bait blocks, then dated and initialed the inside lid of the box. The hospital liked records proving our visits. When I opened the box this day two Brown Recluse ran for cover behind the blocks. I wasn't sure of the identification immediately, but I suspected it. I captured them on a glue board, and once they stuck to the glue, I identified the fiddle marking. I put the box in the back of my truck and continued my inspection of the warehouse. Two bait boxes later, I found another recluse. I started looking very close at webs in that warehouse.

What surprised me most is the warehouse was bright due to numerous fluorescent light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. Those lights shine during business hours.

I sense you asking, "Fine, you saw a lot of Brown Recluse, but mostly in commercial buildings, and in rarely traveled spaces. Why should I find that interesting?"

I'm glad you asked that question. And here's why.

A few months back I spotted a spider crawling in my bathtub. It had legs that looked alarmingly familiar, so my curiosity peaked. Closer observation identified it as a Brown Recluse. I got out my trusty spray can and doused it with insecticide. While I waited for that one to die I looked around. In a corner of the shower, where the wall and ceiling meet, I found a nest with another Brown Recluse. Guess they decided my shower was ideal for their home. I sprayed there and then, just in case, sprayed the rest of the bathroom.

A short time later, I noticed another Brown Recluse slinking around in my office. This one also had a web at the junction of the ceiling and wall.

Two days ago I found another recluse in the bathtub. Maybe a baby of the couple I eliminated during that first sighting. I don't know how it escaped the insecticide though. Just lucky I guess.

I gotta tell you, my bathroom and office aren't lightly traveled rooms. Sure, I'm the only one who comes into my office, but I'm in here every day. My point is, they can call this spider reclusive all they want, but my experience tells me that he just doesn't live up to that reputation anymore.

Brown Recluse Spiders have long slender legs. I make first identifications by recognizing the look of those legs. If you see a spider with very long legs I don't recommend you get too close. Your best bet is just spray it with insecticide, or call in a professional.

I believe most spiders benefit my household by eating nuisance insects. As long as those spiders stay out of sight I don't have any problems with them.

That just isn't the way I feel about the Brown Recluse Spider.




Joseph Jackson is an experienced pest control technician and author of SPIDER RIDDANCE - a how to guide for performing do-it-yourself spider control.





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

沒有留言:

張貼留言